Pesto time. I love pesto, a staple food group in my household when I was younger. It is great with pasta, on sandwiches, pizza bases, and even with rice or salads. Let your brain run wild with the possibilities of pesto. I love this kale pesto recipe, as it is so creamy, delicious and oil-free. Enjoy.
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup almonds
2 cups kale (with stems removed)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons water
- Brown pine nuts and almonds in a frying pan over medium heat. Remove from heat when nuts start to brown and become fragrant.
- Place nuts in a food processor or blender, and process until finely chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the water, and blend until smooth.
- Add water slowly. More water can be added if a running consistency is desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- For a more traditional flavour, add nutritional yeast and/or basil to the pesto.
- Place pesto into ice cubes and freeze. Take out desired quantity when needed.